5 Feb 2012

Gel Nails: Worth the damage???

Hi everyone, If you've been reading my blog for a while you will know I got a full set of gel nails over christmas. You can read the original post here
They did look beautiful and I only paid £20 because there was an amazing deal however since they have gone my nails are pretty bad.....

There are a few ways to remove false nails at home.

1. Snap em off with your teeth. Bad for both your nails and teeth. Strongly don't recommend.

2. Wait for your own nail to grow and cut the false nail away as it grows. Good for the first few weeks but it looks a bit peculiar as it grows out.

3. Soak your nails in acetone based nail polish remover for an hour and they 'should' soak off.

The third step is what I opted for as to have them professionally removed was going to cost about £20. I watched loads of videos and read loads of blog posts. It looked easy but I was wrong. I soaked my nails for well over an hour and the gel didn't budge. However the top glossy layer had become coarse like sandpaper. After another half hour of soaking there was no improvement. 

I am sad to say, I snapped them off. 

This was terrible!!! It left small lumps of gel on my own nail which created an uneven surface. It also ripped the top layer of my own nail off in places which has weakened them a lot.

I then cut all my nails back really short to prevent even more damage and kept cutting them back as soon as they started to grow. After 3 weeks all the gel has finally gone but my nails are in bad condition. They are bendy and snapping right left and centre. 

To sum up my experience I would say pay to get them removed unless you have removed them at home yourself and know what you are doing. I will think twice about having them done again and will definitely pay to have them taken off.

However, they are lovely to have and for a special occasion i.e, wedding, birthday, Christmas it's a luxury treat. 

I hope this has been helpful and if you have any tips and tricks for removing false nails then please let me know.

Thanks for reading

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment